Seattle Children’s Hospital’s Bike to School Wrap-Up Party and Livable Streets Celebration! Children’s hospital has been a generous sponsor of Bike to School Month and will be hosting an all-ages celebration in June. Bring the whole family!
- When: June 14th 10am-2pm
- Where: Seattle Children’s Hospital Transit Hub
- What: Bike to School celebration and awards ceremony, tour of Burke Gilman Trail improvements, food, bike rodeo and fun for all ages!
No matter your child’s skill level, riding with your child is a great way to spend quality time together and model safe cycling behavior. Remember that throughout May, students can record any minutes of riding whether they are biking to school, to the park, at home or elsewhere. We celebrate parent involvement and hope that you can encourage students and their parents to ride together whenever possible!
Did you know…
- Lake Washington Boulevard will be closed to traffic (and open to bikers and walkers) throughout the Spring and Summer? Join families around the city for Bicycle Sundays (hyperlink http://www.seattle.gov/parks/bicyclesunday/) on Lake Washington Boulevard from 10am until 6pm on the following dates:
- May: 18*
- June 1, 15, 29*
- July 6 and 13*
- August 10 and 24*
- September 14 and 21
*Cascade will sell helmets for $15 near the Seward Park Audubon Center
- Commuting by bike is safer and easier if you’ve planned a bike-friendly route ahead of time. The Seattle Bike Map and the Seattle Neighborhood Greenways page are great resources for finding the safest way to get from point A to point B. Note: Seattle Neighborhood Greenways are neighborhood streets designed to slow traffic and provide safer connections for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Please see the attached Bicycle Safety Tips handout and feel free to distribute it as you’d like. We strongly encourage parents and/or guardians to review these safety tips before biking to school with their children (the same information is located on the back of our Bike to School Month Calendar)
More Family Biking Resources:
- Check out Family Friendly events around Seattle (including Kidical Mass Seattle and Summer Streets) using Seattle Neighborhood Greenways’ Event Calendar
- Sign up now for youth bike camps at Cascade. Practice urban cycling skills while having a blast!
- Kids can learn bike maintenance skills and earn a bike at the same time! Earn-A- Bike program (for youth) Bike Works
- Family bike-focused shop- G&O Family Cyclery
- Plan your route using the Seattle Bike Map