Field Day: I hope you remembered your spirit wear today (each grade can wear their walk-a-thon colors or a similar colored shirt/outfit). Field day starts at 12:30pm and goes until 2:00pm. Also, you may want to bring sunscreen and extra water as the sun has finally arrived for summer!
Lost and Found: The pile of clothes, bottles and lunch boxes is quite large in the hallway. Check it out today during Field Day and/or on Monday before it is donated to local charity.
Thank you and Happy Friday!!
The play was so much fun last night and the talented actors had an amazing first night! The play will go on tonight (Friday) at 7pm and also Saturday at 2pm. Come early to get good seats! You can see a few of the pictures by clicking on any images below…
Thank you to our Golden Acorn Winners for 2016-17! Ken Bodensteiner and Leslie Francis. Your dedication and volunteerism has made a big difference at Lafayette for many years!
What is a Golden Acorn Award? A Golden Acorn Award is presented by a local PTA or council to a school or community volunteer in recognition of her or his dedication and service to children and youth. Since the beginning of this program in the 1930s, more than 54,000 Golden Acorn Awards have been presented to volunteers throughout Washington state. Recipients receive a certificate and pin, and a contribution is made in their name to the Washington State PTA Scholarship Program that benefits students.
There is also still opportunities to volunteer to help! Click on the button below.
Thanks to Ms. Duke and all the families that have been helping put this amazing play together!
Please come and join in the last meeting of the year and give your feedback about meeting times for next year, plus approve nominations for your new board! We would like to try to alternate meetings after school and in the evenings in 2017-18. If you can’t attend but want to give feedback on meeting times, please send an email to the board at email@example.com
- Approve and vote on the nominations of the PTA Board
- Vice President
- Provide feedback on Meeting times next year
- End of Year Events
We look forward to seeing you in the playground after-school!
Book Fair is June 1 – 7th! Keep the reading momentum going this summer! All purchases benefit the school – which help buy books for the library and classrooms. Here are the different ways you can order books from the Book Fair:
- Visit the Library June 1 -7 (lunch recess and after school until 2:45 pm)
- Order Online: scholastic bookfairs (online orders delivered June 15)
- Clip & Send the Newspaper Flyer Order Form (remember to add 10.1% sales tax, checks made payable to Lafayette PTA). click here –>Book Flyer Order Form
Our librarian, Linda Nakagawa, is looking for volunteers for the Book Fair in June. Please respond by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or stop by and sign up on the volunteer sheet that is posted in the Main Hall.
Times to Volunteer:
June 2 – 7th: Lunch Recess 10:00 to 11:40 am Need 3 Cashiers/Helpers
June 1 – 7th: After School 2:00 to 2: 45 pm Need 2 Cashiers
What does a Book Fair Volunteer do?
Before the Students/Parents Arrive
- The first time you volunteer you should arrive 10 minutes early for training.
- Look around & become familiar with the books & items being sold.
- I will provide a training/review on using the cash register & hand scanner.
When the Students/Parents Arrive:
- Volunteers may run a cash register, pull items from the display table or assist young students locate or select books.
- If you are at a cash register you will ring up cash, check & credit card sales using a hand scanner on the barcodes.
After Students/Parents Leave:
- After lunch you will deliver “out-of-time” books to students in their classrooms.
- Tidy up & Restock the tables, cases & displays as needed.
- Count & bundle bills, coins, checks & slips for bank deposit.
- On the last day of the Fair, she needs one or 2 Volunteers who can help pack & stack the BF boxes.
Library Helpers are needed to assist when classes come to exchange Library Books & shelve returns
Volunteers are needed to process & laminate our new books to prepare them for Check-Out.
- Requires 15 minutes of training.
- Laminating may be done in the Library or at your home.
Thanks to all of the parents that could attend the PTA Town Hall on Thursday, May 11th. There was a good discussion and information shared throughout the meeting. Cindy Chaput presented on state of the school and 2017/18 curriculum plans with help from Monica Smith (parent on the math committee and former teacher). If you have a moment please read through the links below and check out the research and presentation. She is happy to discuss any items with parents so feel free to reach out.
In addition, the PTA Budget was passed for the year 2017/18. We will post the full budget on our website shortly.
Thanks for being part of your community!
Cindy Chaput’s Presentation
2017 05 11 LAFAYETTE ELEMENTARY PTA – State of School Presentation
Math Research from Math Committee
2017 05 11 LAFAYETTE ELEMENTARY PTA – AbilityGroupingResearch
2017 05 11 LAFAYETTE ELEMENTARY PTA – best practice math
Summary of Math committee research
2017 05 11 LAFAYETTE ELEMENTARY PTA – elem_math_Feb_9_2007
PTA Town Hall Thursday 6:30pm – 8pm in Cafeteria (Childcare available in the gym)
- Cindy will review the State of the School and we will have principals from Fairmount and Genesee Hill joining her to discuss curriculum for next year. We will discuss research for Advanced Learning, that Lafayette has been chosen to participate in due to high scores of testing.
- PTA Budget for 2017/18 – Vote on all that hard earned money raised this year and how it should be spent to benefit the kids.
- Open Discussion – Open positions for PTA 2017/18, school events coming up and volunteer opportunities
Please come and participate in the meeting. There are many exciting things happening at the school and your voice counts!
Time to celebrate Spring with your Lafayette Community. Spring Fling is a carnival of fun for the whole family at the school. We will have games in the gym, food, bouncy houses, photo booth and prizes to win!
Volunteers can get involved with the fun by supervising games, help with setup plus be at the art & craft tables, cake walk, bounce house, photo booth, ticket sales, DJ in Cafeteria, make popcorn, face painting, grill hot dogs, make snow cones, clean up and more!
We have a Volunteer Project Managers ( thank you —Diana Palmer, Sarah Dillard and Jimmie Galaites) who is coordinating the volunteers. Sign ups will be posted shortly so look for it here: http://lafayettepta.com/volunteer